I write for video games, but for some reason I get asked a lot by my peers whether I actually play games. This never happens in circles of novelists. No one ever asks me, “so do you… read?” But in gaming circles, the conversations go like this:
Colleague or Journalist: So do you… play games?
CoJ: Like what? What do you play?
Me: Recently I enjoyed [a couple of games that stood out]. But I play many games, as much as I can.
CoJ: On what platform?
Me: All of them except Nintendo for now.
CoJ: Like what? iOS?
I tend not to enjoy these conversations because I’m not much of a cataloguer, and these conversations mainly occur on press junkets or business trips, while I’m trying to concentrate on the game I’m promoting or making, through a thick fog of jet lag and often some kind of headache. And, I instinctively reject invitations to justify my existence, which can be a real conversation stopper.
Nevertheless, it’s a listy time of year, and testament to my love for this form, the first thing I want to do on my first day of vacation from the game company I work for is reflect on the games I played over the last 12 months, and link out to some games I really enjoyed. I’ll mark my favorites with a loving (*) and reserve the right to add the games I forgot when I remember them as soon as I hit “publish.”
- Assassins Creed II
- Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
- Assassins Creed III
- Driver SF
- Fez (*)
- Just Dance 3 (*)
- Mass Effect 3
- Quantum Conundrum
- Rayman Origins
- XCOM Enemy Unknown (*)
- Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 (* one of mine)
- Civilization Revolution
- Middle Manager of Justice
- Rayman Jungle Run (*)
- Spaceteam! (* not just a favourite, but also the only game I got to test over potlucks, in the developer’s living room.)
- The Walking Dead
- Plague Inc. (it’s like the opposite of Pandemic)
- Ticket to Ride Pocket
- Plants vs. Zombies (I would have thought I’d be sick of PvZ by now, but it’s still on my phone and when I run out of new things to play or read on the subway, I play it over.)
- Asphalt Injection
- Assassins Creed III: Liberation (* My baby!)
- Gravity Rush (*)
- Little Big Planet
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- JS Joust (*)
Paper, Ink, Glue, Wood and Plastic
- Carcassonne (It would have a star, but I’ve been playing it too long)
- Cards Against Humanity (*)
- Pandemic (*)
- Ticket to Ride
- Dominoes (so very many games dominoes, often accompanied by rum drinks )
On deck, but I won’t get to them before 2013 because I can’t stop playing XCOM
- Analogue, a Hate Story
- Replay Half Life 2 (*)
- Hotline Miami
- That game that’s like Pictionary but with Lego. Someone should get me that for xmas
- Mark of the Ninja
- Mirror’s Edge
- Persona 4 Golden
- Settlers of Catan (I know… what is WRONG with me that I haven’t played this already?)
- Sound Shapes
- Unfinished Swan
- ZombiiU (and other WiiU stuff if I can actually get one. We ordered them at work and then they cancelled our orders at the last minute. The nerve!)