This is a Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcake, baked from the recipe in the fabulous-adorable new cookbook, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

If you love cupcakes at all, you need this book. You don’t need to be vegan first. The fact that every resulting cupcake is cruelty-free is just the icing sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon on the cupcake.

I baked the cupcakes in the new silicone muffin liners my mom got me at Loblaws when I was at home last week. I photographed this one in a fetching “ooh la la” demi-tasse cup that The Single Girl gave me. The very idea of “Quebexican” came from Lauralyn, and I got the book using a gift certificate from my aunt. So really, this is a picture of many different kinds of gifts all coming together to show exactly what kind of a cupcake a village can make when it puts its mind to it.

You can read more on the wild world of vegan cupcakes at the VCTOtW blog.

6 Responses to Quebexico is a state of mind

1. The Single Girl says:

Mmmm demi-tasse …. the cupcakes look excellent too!

2. lauralyn says:

mmm…. j’ai besoin de that.

3. lauralyn says:

oh yeah, and I bought those liners too. At Loblaws, in gatineau, where we saw them.

4. Jill says:

Geez. It’s starting to sound like I spend all my time in Loblaws. Honest to goodness, I’ve been in Loblaws 3 times since June, but it happens now that all 3 of those occasions have now been noted in this post.

I’m now hearing that silicone liners produce flatter muffins and cupcakes, so note to the world, maybe don’t use them for things you want to have come out puffy. But they’re OK for these cuppies, which are nice flat to modestly rounded on top.

LL, I will make you cupcakes. I will have to schedule it, or it won’t happen, but I will make cupcakes and bring them to your home. This is not an idle threat.

5. The Single Girl says:

will you bring cupcakes to my home? hee hee

6. Jill says:

Of course, TSG, as long as you cover travel costs.